Sunday, July 13, 2008

SEOmoz's Web 2.0 Awards and Online Productivity.

This week, (even though I'm a few weeks behind,) we learned about online productivity tools like GoogleDocs and various websites featured on this SEOmoz Web 2.0 Awards list. We were told to go to this Zoho writer thingie, but I wasn't a fan of it. I'm not sure why we were sent there when Google has a perfectly good application available. Perhaps it didn't work well on the network or something. But, then again, the Zoho thing crashed on me a couple times as well.
I suppose it will remain a mystery. Didn't learn anything new there, but it was interesting enough.
The second part of this week's activities did make me think a little! We were told to go to this Web 2.0 Awards website, but the site was down. Most people would have given up, but I thought that since this is such an active website, google surely has a copy backed up! So, I searched for it on google, and found the cached copy, which worked well enough. They had a whole list of all sorts of categories, but the only one that caught my eye was an online desktop. Not really knowing what that was, I figured I'd explore that. Turns out it's a fancy virtual desktop. The browser window opens up to a full screen and simulates the look and feel of a desktop. One can type things, do a spreadsheet, play games, message, and email all within this web application. I did try to browse within the browser, (getting a little complicated here,) but the filter kicked in and said it was an anonymizer. I disabled it for a little while, but it still didn't work well. Alas. It was in alpha, to it's defense.
But, another website I came across, not on the list I think, was this website called drop.io . One can upload documents, call into the server and leave mp3 messages, and all sorts of file storing/sharing/sending things, all without making an account! The best thing of all, however, is that one may fax something anywhere in the US for FREE!
So go check it out. drop.io

No comments: