Sunday, July 13, 2008

Final Post

Well, I'm done with the 23 things. I can't say I learned a whole lot aside from growing comfortable with RSS feeds, which I had a pathological aversion to in the past.
The staff more or less split in my building in their reaction to the 23 things. It more or less came down to those who were already comfortable with technology, and thus were engaged, and those that weren't, who to this day haven't gotten much farther than getting their blog set up.
I have to say that the Blog exercise was a hit. Everybody was just thrilled about the blog thing, what they could do, and what others did with theirs. Interest in the 23 things tapered off after that, and became more of a chore than a fun learning exercise.
To this end I think those in power could have tried to sell the program better, and to get the staff more excited about it. There were many, and will continue to be many, who just aren't interested in technology, belong to an older generation, or are just not motivated, and this (argueably sizable,) portion of the staff will very skeptical of supposed benefits from these 23 things.
This is not to say that the 23 things were in vain. Nay! They were/are a noble effort, and one that I applaud. Progress is progress, right? Furthermore, I'm not sure how I would get said group interested in this sort of thing in the first place. But, the problem is there none the less.
I hope that this exercise has given the powers that be more interest in useing these tools in our workplace. I daresay we're slightly behind the curve as far as libraries go and Web 2.0. This was a step towards that goal, and I hope it is achieved one day.

No comments: